The benefits of swaddling
Some people says that swaddling is used to help babies become calmer and sleep longer.
Swaddling prevents unnecessary wake-ups caused a baby’s startle reflex. This is because a swaddled baby’s arms and legs will be contained as they are wrapped gently in a blanket which allows for a peaceful and longer night sleep for baby and parents.
More parents are swaddling their baby for the first three months until startle or moro reflex to reduce. The idea is that the first three months of your baby’s life is a different period for them after they emerge from the womb to the outside world. They are trying to adjust our external life after being in the womb for nine months.
Is there any risks of swaddling a baby?
Swaddling your baby might carry some risks. It may be unsafe if your baby is not swaddled properly. Also, you need to make sure that you have a lightweight blanket to swaddle your baby due to overheating.
How do I swaddle my baby?
- Swaddle your baby using thin, breathable materials. Bebekish bamboo muslin swaddles are perfect for swaddling your baby. They are thin, breathable and maintains body temperature.
- Don’t swaddle your baby above their shoulders – their neck and head should never be swaddled.
- Wrap your baby firmly but gently (not too tightly). Tight swaddling that stops your baby's hips and knees moving freely is not recommended. Swaddling your baby too tightly might cause hip dysplasia, which is where the hip does not form correctly.
- Use hip-healthy swaddling techniques to reduce the risk of hip dysplasia. Make sure your baby is able to move their hips and knees freely to kick. Your baby’s legs should be able to fall into a natural position (like frog legs).
- Always put your baby to sleep on their back. Never put a swaddled baby to sleep on their front or side.
- Check your baby’s temperature regularly to make sure they don’t get too hot or overheat. Check they are wearing suitable clothes for the weather too.
- If someone else looks after your baby, make sure they also know about safe sleeping advice and how to swaddle safely. Take your time to show them and explain safe swaddling and make sure they know to always put your baby to sleep on their back.
How long should I swaddle my baby for?
Swaddling should only be introduced when your baby is a newborn. As soon as they show signs that they’re learning to roll over or they can already roll over, you need to transition them away from swaddling. This is so they can use their hands and arms freely to adjust their head position if they roll over onto their side or front. Your baby could start learning to roll over as early as around two to three months old.
The information is used from www.nct.org.uk
Bebekish Parenting Blog
As a parent, we find out that one of the most useful things is to read other people's parenting experiences with their children.
Being a parent is a full time job. Especially if you are a first time parent. You learn things about babies and kids as you experience them.
We would love you to introduce our Bebekish Blog. We share our 10 years of parenting experiences with you and give you some tips about baby developments. Also, we provide some useful information about babies after our extensive research about the things that most parents should know about.
You can also find out about the importance of using organic cotton and bamboo products for babies and kids.