What is BLW?
Baby Lead Weaning basically means self feeding, skipping spoon, use fingers and it is absolutely loved by babies. This is the most enjoyable moment for them.
What is the benefits of baby-led weaning?
- Supports the development of babies eye-hand coordination, chewing skills and healthy eating habits. It also offers babies an opportunity to explore the taste, texture and aroma of a variety of foods.
- Babies who self-fed eat less food than they need since they are feeding independently
- Baby-led weaning have a lasting effect on a child's food preferences. They eat healthier and you will not need to buy jar food for your baby.
Most of the time mums are concerned about mess but BLW is an important milestone for your baby to go through.
Here is some tips for baby weaning success:
- Texture is the key. The food that you give your baby should be soft and easy to smash with gentle finger pressure. You should steam fruit and vegetables when beginning baby-led weaning
- Always let your baby eat his/her food
Make sure that you are with your baby at all times but do not sit next to her/him and watch him constantly. Instead you can finish your cooking in the kitchen and keep an eye on your baby at the same time.
- If you are having dinner together do not make fuss about when they are making mess.
- Always give her/him soft food or half cooked food. Like banana, avocado, steamed vegs, poached salmon, pasta, omlets cut into pieces, strips of chicken
- Let your baby use safe utensils.
- Make sure your baby gets enough nutrients. Many babies struggle eat all of the food at first. You may give your baby finger foods with purees until she gets the hang of self feeding.
- Once your baby has tried and tolerated several single-ingredient foods, you can begin offering mixed dishes.
What if my baby chokes?
Gagging is very common in early days of eating. It is a normal and reflexive safety mechanism that might cause watery eyes and coughing or sputtering. But parents can understand that gagging is a safety reflex and it is normal. Babies will learn with your reaction. If you get scared then baby will get scared. So make sure that you are calm when baby is eating his food.
Choking on the other hand happens when the food gets stuck in the throat or windpipe, blocking airflow. If a baby is choking, she will not make sound. To avoid this situation, move away grapes, nuts, raisins or raw vegetables until baby is comfortable with chewing easily.
- Always stay with your baby while he is eating
- Make sure your baby is sitting up when eating
- Serve foods that aren't hard
- Take an infant first aid class so you'll be prepared
- Do not rush to help your baby when she gags. Babies can feel parent's panic and can develop negative associations with eating. Instead stay calm and give her time to work it out.
Bebekish Parenting Blog
As a parent, we find out that one of the most useful things is to read other people's parenting experiences with their children.
Being a parent is a full time job. Especially if you are a first time parent. You learn things about babies and kids as you experience them.
We would love you to introduce our Bebekish Blog. We share our 10 years of parenting experiences with you and give you some tips about baby developments. Also, we provide some useful information about babies after our extensive research about the things that most parents should know about.
You can also find out about the importance of using organic cotton and bamboo products for babies and kids.